Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Writing Goals

I didn't have any major aspirations when I first started writing. I just knew I loved to write and it was one of my goals in life to write a book. It took 18 years from when I knew I wanted to write a book, and when I actually started.

I knew I was going to write a book about my trip around Australia but I didn't want it to sound like a biography, although I did get up to some pretty exciting stuff, mainly with sheep and cattle (don't ask). It took me 18 years for the light bulb to switch on and the thought that hey, this doesn't have to be a non-fiction book, I can make it a novel and use my trip and adventures as a back drop. So that's what I did. I wrote a romantic comedy. The romance in the story is completely made up but most of the adventures happened to me in one form or another.

I had no intention of trying to have this book published traditionally, I published it on Lulu and got a great response from the people who read it. One lady told me she went through the entire emotional spectrum when she read it. Probably one of the best compliments I've ever received about my writing.

Since then I have learned a lot more about writing and have taken that version off the market. After finishing my current project I am going to re-write my original book and try to get it published traditionally.

My goals have changed alot since then. Now it would be a dream come true to become a best selling author. Not for the money or the fame, but for the fact that I can write something good enough that so many people would want to buy and read it. That is what I now aspire to.

How about you? What goals and aspirations do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment