Monday, January 11, 2010

When you get your groove back

I know that every author out there will agree with me that you hit a brick wall sometimes and nothing comes to you. This happened to me just recently but Saturday evening it all came flooding back, much to my relief.

I have read on other blogs and in magazine articles that authors will force themselves to write something everyday on their current project, even if there is nothing there to write. I tried that tact and it just doesn't work for me. So I didn't write anything on my novel for about a month. It was the strangest thing, I felt guilty every day. I felt like I was letting someone down, but how ridiculous is that? There is noone to let down. I don't have deadlines to meet, I don't have agents and editors to please, I write for fun and the story will get finished when it gets finished.

It just struck me as odd that I would react that way. This is supposed to be my hobby, something I do to relieve the stress of my everyday work life, but the opposite was happening.

So, I sat myself down, told myself to stop fretting and I would write when I felt like it. I allowed myself to let go and it was the best thing I could have done because my characters started talking to me, and each other again.

The lesson I learned from this is that sometimes you need to be a little less hard on yourself .

No comments:

Post a Comment