Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Clown and a Mustang

I had a somewhat unusal day today. I got to chauffeur a clown around in a brand new Mustang convertible. Not your average Wednesday Morning.

I know this really doesn't have anything to do with my book or publishing, or anything else to do with this blog. But I just had to share it with you all.

We have a circus coming to town in a couple of weeks and I volunteered to drive Skeeter the clown to various places to promote it. Our local Ford dealership donated the use of the Mustang.

We went to a school, a couple of nursing homes and a day care center. The biggest most profound thing that I noticed today was that it had no bearing on the age of the person, they all reacted the same way to Skeeter. When she entered the room, their faces lit up, and an ambience of joy could be felt around the room. So much so that it was almost tangible.

When we walked into the dining room of one of the nursing homes I was almost moved to tears by the reaction of the residents. They were eating their breakfast in relevant silence, most everyone's faces were expressionless, until Skeeter walked in. It was a sight to behold seeing all the elderly faces light up with smiles and sparkles in their eyes.

The children's expressions were priceless, too. Their uninhibited giggles were infectious.

Now, I'm usually a happy person anyway, but this morning I had a grin planted firmly from ear to ear. I'm sorry to all of you who have a phobia towards clowns. After meeting a real one, I'm here to tell you that they are just ordinary people who give a little extraordinary joy to those who can see them for who they really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment