Thursday, September 10, 2009

Why Do I Write YA?

You know, that is a question that I often wonder about myself. I will let you into a little secret. I am a complete romance junkie, especially paranormal romance. But when it comes to writing I feel drawn to write for the younger market. Don’t get me wrong I read YA, too. I have enjoyed the Harry Potter series, the Twilight saga, and Maximum Ride to name but a few.

I have written a romance, it was my first book and I am in the process of re-writing it. I am going through an intense learning experience with my writing and I now know that the first book needs a lot of work. I will publish it again one day when it is ready.

But so far as writing for the YA market, I just think that you can get away with a lot more, fictionally speaking, than you can with the adult market. I have such a vivid imagination that I feel like I’m still a kid. A bit like Peter Pan, the boy who never grew up. On the outside I have responsibilities, bills to pay, a business to run. But on the inside, I’m still just a kid desperate to explore other realms and go on exciting adventures, fight monsters and befriend otherworldly creatures. I just don’t think that is going to go away any time soon. I hope not anyway, I’m only a quarter of the way through the second book in my Custodian trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment