Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Writing Bug

My writing bug bit me many years ago. I have wanted to write a book for about 20 years but never had the courage to try before a few years ago. I knew I wanted to write a book about my travels round Australia, when I was 20 years old. I backpacked for nine months and had the time of my life, and lots of adventures and stories to talk about. But I didn't want it to be a memoir or a documentary.

It wasn't until 2006, 17 years later, that I had the idea to write a romance using my travels round Australia as a back drop. The romance was fictional but the adventures in my book did happen to me in one form or another. So My first book was a romance called "What's a Jilleroo to do?" I self-published it and had some great feedback.

I have since taken it off the market and I am going to re-write it when I have finished my current project. I have learned so much on my writing journey and know that my original book needs a lot of work.

I did think that I only had one book in me, I thought after writing it that the itch would have been scratched, but 2 years later I got an idea in my head for a YA urban fantasy (one of my favorite genres). So I sat down to write and didn't stop. Six weeks later the 1st draft of The Amulet was ready.

Now I know that bug has gotten under my skin and no amount of scratching is going to relieve it. I am currently writing the 2nd book in what I hope to make a trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment