Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My Publishing Journey

Once I had made the decision to self-publish, everything just seemed to fall into place after that. I started researching my options, of which there were plenty. I joined Create Space, a superb option for the self-publishing author. It is owned by Amazon and has a community of writers who freely give of their knowledge and experience to help all of us ‘newbies’ on our way.

My first decision was, do I use a free ISBN number that Create Space give you, or buy my own? I decided to buy my own, that way I have complete autonomy over my book and can sell it anywhere.

With buying my ISBN numbers came the decision to create a publishing company to allocate those ISBN’s to. My publishing company name is Laxsaro Publishing. I will tell you all where I came up with that name in another blog.

The conversion and uploading of the interior of the book was very simple. I just had to convert my word doc into a PDF file, then up load it.

Designing the cover was fun. My friend Andi is very creative and while I was buying my ISBN’s she was playing with images. We uploaded the template CS give you and the rest was easy. It only took a couple of hours to design a professional looking book cover. I hope you will all like it when the book is printed.

The next step is to upload that and wait to see if the formatting is accepted by CS. The cover came back as rejected because the format was wrong, so I played with it some more and tried again. I am now waiting to see it that worked.

The next step will be to order a proof and work my way through it for any last errors.

No comments:

Post a Comment