Saturday, August 15, 2009

A Journey

I have written two books now and I am currently working on my third. The first book I wrote was more of an experiment than anything and I learned a huge amount from it. I originally wrote it in the first person and self-published it because it was really just a fun hobby.

After self-publishing it, I did sell several in the small town that I live in and had a great response to it. I took it “off the shelf” a year or so ago and am in the process of re-writing it, using the experience I have gained over the past three years. When I have finished the re-write my goal is to try and get it published “properly”.

The other book I have written is a young adult book in the urban paranormal genre. It was great fun to write and an adventure I wished I could have had as a teenager. I am currently working on the second book of what I am planning on being a trilogy when completed.

I have spent the last nine months on the “getting representation” journey but so far to no avail. The whole process is an extreme learning experience and also a very disheartening one. I have had manuscripts requested, which is always very exciting. But as yet no offers of representation. Although through my journey I have learned this is normal and par for the course.

I read agents blogs avidly and soak in any information I can about the publishing industry and unfortunately at the moment, it’s not good. It seems more and more that publishers are less than likely to take on new authors, even to the extent of re-printing back listed titles from years ago, that sold well.

With all of the information I have read and digested over the past nine months I think that for this series of books, at least, I will embark on the self-publishing route and try and market them myself. With the help of the internet, this blog and my facebook page.

I will keep you informed of my progress, wish me luck

Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment