Thursday, August 20, 2009

Inspiration

Where do I get my inspiration? Inspiration for me comes from anywhere and everywhere. I love to get involved in the theatre and I am blessed to live in a small town that has its very own circa 1930’s theatre. It is run by a local board and along with bringing in outside entertainers, it also hosts three shows a year that are played by local volunteers, including myself.

I was struggling with the closing scene of my last book, The Amulet, during rehearsals for the Christmas show we were producing last year. One of the musicians in the show had a mandolin and during a break, instead of playing the Christmas songs he was doing in the show, he started playing some Celtic music. BAM just like that the whole scene for my final chapter erupted in my head. I sat and listened to him for as long as I could before I was next due to go on stage, and unbeknownst to him, he ended up in my book.

Another example; I went round a friend’s one day and her computer was on in the living room. The wallpaper was of beautiful photo a relative had taken of two young people playing chess beside the ethereal glow of a candle. There was a fire burning behind them and the young girl was holding what looked like it could have been a first edition leather bound copy of an Edgar Allen Poe novel. In that instant another scene erupted in my mind for the current book I am writing. As yet I’m not sure where it will go in the story but when I figure that out, I will probably have a whole chapter surrounding that one photo.

I was blessed to be born in a Medieval City in England. It boasts a castle and two cathedrals. Has the oldest cobbled street in the Country and buildings that are centuries old. Everywhere you turn there is inspiration just knocking on the door. My YA books are based in that area and in the medieval village where I grew up.

No comments:

Post a Comment