Tuesday, June 28, 2011

American-isms

This is a very interesting time in the publishing world and one comment I get, that keeps cropping up, has got me wondering how it will sort itself out, if, indeed, it can.

Up until very recently, it was costly to get your work self-published and most authors relied on getting a publishing deal with a traditional publisher. But along came the Kindle and all that changed. In the past few years digital books have become more popular and e-readers are selling like hotcakes.

If you are an author, living in the US, you can upload your book to Kindle and Nook et al. and you can get your work out there for virtually no cost at all. But, until last year your work would only be available in the US.

Then came the introduction of Kindle to the UK and now Germany, and soon to be many other countries, I'm sure. Also, Kindle have now made it possible for international authors to upload their work.

The thing that has sparked this post are the comments that are recurring on my UK reviews, among others. I find myself in the slightly more unusual situation because I am a Brit living in the US for 10 years now. I have adopted the US language, basically because it is easier to use US words than to be constantly explaining what I mean. ie. Jumper in UK = Sweater in US. Trousers in UK = Pants in US (Pants in UK = underwear, or something that is not very good ie. 'his writing is pants', see how confusing this can get?). So, whilst writing, I try and keep my language as generic as possible. I don't want to lose my Brit side but want my US readers to understand me, too.

My stories are set in England, where I grew up, but they were originally written for an American audience because, at the time, I had no way of getting them to a UK audience. Last November that all changed when Kindle was launched in the UK.

Now, when you upload a book to Kindle you have the option to distribute it to every country that has the Kindle, and why wouldn't you? This brings me back to the subject at hand.

I am receiving comments like "Loved that it was set in Norwich, but the American-isms were grating".

Again, up until now, if you were an American writer, traditionally published, your book would be sold to foreign rights and a foreign editor would edit your writing to suit that country's language, grammar and tastes. There is no such process for the self-published author, unless you can afford to spend beaucoup bucks on a foreign editor.

I can see what readers mean, though. I just read a kindle book by an English author and because I have assimilated the US language, over the years, I found it quite jarring to read it when so many words were spelled differently. (Please note, I say differently and not incorrectly). And, as for the "Brit Speak" that's a whole other ball game. I, of course, understood it and found it extremely amusing (it was a comedy) but I know for a fact my US friends would have had a lot of trouble understanding what the author was trying to convey, and this would have spoiled the story for them because they would be constantly stopping to try and work out what the author meant.

The odd thing is, is that I only seem to be getting the 'American-ism' comments from my English readers. I wonder if US readers make similar comments when reading a book written by an English author.

I will leave spelling and grammar for another post - that's a whole subject by itself. But tell me, what do you think? Are we going to have to adopt a universal English language now, due to the advent of digital books and self-pubbed international authors? How do you think this will affect the way we view international authors? Will this put you off reading a book by an international author if you know it is self-pubbed and not edited for your country?

3 comments:

  1. That is an interesting point! First, I have to say that I believe that you are probably getting more comments about the American-isms because your stories are set in England. I have read a few books that were obviously written by British authors and had not been edited for American readers. Personally, the only time it bothers me is when I can't figure out the meaning of a word within its context. It's not usually a problem... Particularly with the Kindle, I have read books by British authors and when I came across a problem word, I just used the built-in dictionary which will more often than not give the British meaning.

    Now, if you were to have set your stories in the US and your characters primarily spoke British, there might be some confusion and it would probably feel a little strange. Knowing your books were set in England, I even tried to imagine the characters speaking with the British accent as I read. (I know many would argue that the British don't have an accent, but I'm referring to my perspective).

    I don't think that we will have to adopt a universal English language, though I think we may each begin to learn more about the other's "isms" in the process. I don't actually read much by international authors right now because I am very picky about what genres and types of stories I read, so I can't say what the effect will be on those authors. I would imagine that the readers might have a more difficult time, but maybe they will be encouraged to learn something. :-)

    That said, if you should choose to "write British" from here on out, I would certainly not complain. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently read both of your books on kindle and I can understand where some readers come from about the so-called Americanisms. It can suddenly jar you from the story. It can make you remember that this is a book and no you are not living it.

    However now the world is very universal. I live in a small town in north England where people are proud of being English and hate everyone else and yet I hear constantly young kids coming in and using american slang that they have heard on T.V. My 12 year old nephews also use Americanisms as it is slowly becoming the norm. I can understand why you have done so, having made the stories for an american audience to begin with.

    As for books becoming more world wide and in people's own 'language'. To me it brings forth the magic of books. You learn a new way of reading and viewing characters. Words become new and reading becomes once more a learning experience. I like that it's becoming easier for writers to market their stories to a wider audience then they would usually. It gives the reader a wider choice.

    Also people love learning new slang it makes things all the more fun. I have many foreign friends who love 'Briticism' and i love learning the little quirks of their country. Maybe and i know this is a very broad maybe it could help people understand other cultures a bit more then from the stereotypes portrayed on t.v and the vast collection of american t.v

    Sorry for the rambling of this post. I do like your stories.

    ReplyDelete