Monday, June 6, 2011

Is YA too dark?

A reporter for the Wall Street Journal sparked a big hooha on the webosphere this weekend with her post about YA books being too dark and depraved. I read the post and a lot of the comments, and I have to say I can see this whole argument from both sides. (Click on the title of this post to go to the article).

When I read books, I want pure escapism. I don't want to read about people cutting themselves, or being raped, or abused, whether by parents or fellow students. But then again I'm an adult now, maybe things have changed a lot since I was that age.

I didn't have a perfect teen life. I won't go into detail, but I'm still dealing with some scars to this very day. Would reading about it in a fiction novel have made me feel any better? I don't know, and I'm not sure that kind of thing was written about in teen fiction back then, was there even teen fiction in the 80's? It's a fairly new genre.

But with the comments I saw, it sounds like the parents are on the side of the journalist and the young adults are very much on the side of the authors who write these very graphic books depicting all kinds of awful things that today's teens apparently endure. Many teens are writing to the authors and telling them that reading their book saved their life.

I'm not a mother either, so do not have the experience of hearing what is going on in schools from my kids. But I like to think myself open-minded enough to discuss anything my child might want to throw at me, but how would I know for certain, unless I was actually in that position. I feel for both parties.

After reading the article I have to admit to feeling quite naive. I purposely don't read that kind of book, like I said, I want escapism. So, I didn't even realize that kind of book was out there.

Don't worry though, I'm not about to change the way I write. I will continue to create colorful adventures with characters who are loved. But I have to wonder, even though my books are listed under YA books, are more adults reading it than teens? I'd be interested to know.

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I love escapism. But I also realize that most fiction has it's struggles somewhere. Isn't the average fictional story about someone overcoming a fear, trial or hardship and "living happily ever after" eventually? Having conquered whatever that hardship was? I do think at the heart of most fiction is a need for a bit of realism/humanism. We have to be able to relate somehow. That's what makes us care about the characters... to feel like they're real people with real struggles.

    Still, I prefer the lighthearted side of fiction. I've never read anything like the graphic stuff you mentioned either. And as for genres and target audiences, let me just say:

    I am 28 years old and simply enjoy a good story. :-) I will read adult fiction, young adult fiction, and even children's fiction on occasion, if it's a good, well-written story. I don't see genres as limits on a writer's talents and audience so much as a means of classification to help people find stories that interest them. :-)

    Great discussion-starter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your first book, The Amulet, and I am 60. I agree with Mandy, I just love a great well written story, one I can lose myself in and create another world than the one I am currently in. I often read YA, but would not enjoy reading of abuse or rape, nothing as horrific as those would allow me to "enjoy" a story, not even if it was about how it was all overcome. I love the enchanting worlds you have created. Thanks so much. Rae

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a mother of two teens and have worked in a large bookstore for over 15 years. I remember, just before our store opened for business, my first manager said, "There will be something we sell that all customers will be offended by. It may not be the same book or even the same genre, but everyone at some point will be offended. Just remember, we are here to sell books not judge or ban them." The point is if you are offended, don't buy, read, or watch it. Its the same for all media. As a parent it is my job to ensure that what my children are reading and watching are what I believe to be appropriate. I do not need a stranger who thinks he or she knows the "moral right" to tell me my own heart. If a parent asks me about one of the darker teen books, I let her know the facts about its content, then let her decide if she'll purchase it. If she decides against it, I provide other suggestions based on her needs. I don't think there is one right or wrong answer to the question. We are all different and that is what keeps life interesting! I can assure you, I will definately be suggesting your novels! I have sincerely enjoyed them! Take care, Holly

    ReplyDelete