Monday, June 20, 2011

Inspiration is found when you least expect it

I just had to post this picture (by very kind permission of my friend, Virginia).

One day I was visiting my "horsey" friend and when I walked into her living room this picture of her twin grandchildren was the wallpaper on her computer. I took one look at it and a whole scene erupted in my mind. At that point I had no clue where in the book I would put the scene or how I would write it into the story, I just knew that Faen and Faedra would somehow end up in a little old cabin somewhere.

They didn't end up playing chess, or reading a book for that matter, but the story evolved because I saw this photo on a friend's computer.

The same thing happened with the final chapter of The Amulet. I was stewing in a right old quandry on how to finish the 1st book. At the time, I was involved in a show at our local theatre. When I wasn't needed on stage I wandered into a side room to take a break. One of the other performers was also taking a break and playing something that sounded Celtic on his mandolin. Instantaneously the room disappeared and I was standing in the Great Hall in the middle of a ball. (He gets a mention in the scene, albeit slightly disguised as a fairy).

Those moments are the most precious for me as a writer. Sometimes I can go weeks with no idea where to take the story, and then, wham! Someone says something, I smell a fragrance, or see a picture, and the story takes off running.

I'm not one of these authors who can plot out the entire story before they start writing it. I have a rough idea what the plot will be but it's never fixed in stone. I just start writing and see where the story wants to go. I think it's worked so far. I hope :-)

4 comments:

  1. I have read that many authors do it this way, and they say that the story sort of takes on a life of its own. :-) I'll bet that's exciting for you. It only happened to me a couple of times back when I was attempting to write. Have you ever started writing something that went in a direction you didn't like, and then you had to go back to a certain part and start over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mandy, I haven't so much as had to start over at a certain part than just delete a section altogether because it just didn't fit right. And I still have my doubts about the cell phone scene in the fight at the end of The Amulet. When I wrote it, I just thought it was adding a bit of humor to something so serious, but I've had people mention they thought it was just stupid and unneccessary. Now if I read it I'm finding that I am starting to agree. But then it was my 1st book and this is one big learning curve :-)

    It is exciting when the story starts to take on a life of its own. I love those moments when my fingers just start flying over the keys or I can't find a note pad quick enough to jot down elements that pop into my head from nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i luv this first book. im only eleven turning twelve but i know good books as soon as a read lik the first sentence. i luv how this ws a twist bout the kings daughter it gav more excitement! thnk u for being one of those writers that create magnificent books. this is a wonderful book how it has the luv story nd the mistery. i wsh i can get the nxt book but thats probley not gonna happen. mom said it cost too much. but i wll find a way to get it. md then again thnk u. u r truely r a great writer. i luv to read n i hope to read more of ur books. nd i actually just found ur book searching for somthing free on the kindle. heck how do u think im able to right this im on it now!! well good bye i may check out more of ur profile md comment more. bye

    ReplyDelete
  4. remember in eleven turning twelve! my bday iz 8/2/99

    ReplyDelete