Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Day After

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas yesterday. I spent the day with friends, my surrogate family I guess you would say. Christmas is always a hard time for me because my family are all 4,000 miles away and I haven't spent a Christmas with them for 8 years.

Yesterday it hit me just how lucky I am, living where I do. People here are so friendly that they will not allow you to be alone on Christmas, no matter what. Unfortunately yesterday my mum was not so lucky. I found it hard to believe that she did not get invited round to anyone's home for Christmas, even though everyone she knows and sees on a daily basis knew she would be on her own all day. My sister was on her honeymoon.

She has neighbors that check on her every single day through the year, they are wonderful people and I am blessed that she has them to look out for her, but it never even entered their heads to invite her to Christmas dinner, so that she wouldn't be on her own.

So I would like to extend a huge thank you to my surrogate family here in the States that will never allow me to be in the same boat my mum was in. You know who you are and I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment